Administrative Assistant II
Job no: 493643
Work type: Part Time
This is a part-time position working 10-15 hours during the Fall and Spring semesters.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Epsilon of PA Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa seeks an experienced administrative assistant to support chapter business on a part-time basis at various points throughout the year. Anticipated work schedule will include approximately 10-15 hours at critical points during the fall and spring semesters, specifically during the Visiting Scholar event and during the preparation for the Phi Beta Kappa induction ceremony just prior to graduation. Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain PBK website
- Help schedule PBK meetings (booking rooms, sending out invitations, arranging for catering as necessary)
- Assist in the coordination of the annual PBK induction ceremony:
- In consultation with Executive Officers (primarily President and Secretary) update communications to new inductees
- In consultation with Executive Officers (Selection Committee Chair, President and Secretary) send official invitation to new inductees on behalf of President
- Monitor PBK email account
- Prepare hard copy materials needed for PBK ceremony, including booklets and ceremony program which includes awardee information
- Provide administrative support and coordination for the annual PBK Visiting Scholar event
- Arrange for scholar travel (including booking lodging, developing itinerary for travel), and communicate with national office representatives as necessary
- Working with host department faculty to develop publication materials, including posters, online advertisements, email communications, etc.
- At the direction of host department, coordinate logistics for on-campus events, including the scheduling of rooms, requesting catering, etc.
- Organize and coordinate the PBK post-graduate fellowship opportunity
- Serve as point person for general inquiries about scholarship parameters and collect scholarship applications from recent inductees
- Work with executive committee members to organize appropriate review of applications, and communicate back to applicants (in consultation with President)
- Coordinate with Business Office to arrange for the disbursement of funds to recipient
- Minimum of a high school diploma, two to three years related experience in an administrative support position that requires considerable autonomy, good judgment, and technical knowledge.
- Must have excellent word processing, e-mail, spreadsheet, and database skills, excellent communication skills, and diplomacy.
- Must be comfortable with both Macs and PCs.
- Must be comfortable with website editing.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend