Administrative Assistant II, Computer Science
Job no: 493639
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Administrative Assistant II provides support to the Computer Science department and involves significant student, faculty and staff interaction. Responsible for data and document management, budget management, correspondence and email preparation; scheduling and management of appointments; supervision of student workers; and support for hiring and assembling promotion dossiers. Main responsibilities includes the following:
- Plans and organizes the office support operations for the department, ensuring smooth and effective services and operations.
- Provides faculty recruitment support including complex scheduling, travel arrangements, and online ad placement.
- Works closely with the department chair to coordinate the formation of promotion and tenure dossiers.
- Provides special events management support including reserving rooms and venues, organizing setup and catering needs, as well as publicizing the event.
- Maintains and updates the content on the College-supported departmental website.
- Collects and checks timecards from student workers and relevant staff for accuracy and timely submission to payroll.
- Provides administrative services to the department including compiling data, summarizing information and creating reports; creating and modifying documents using word processing software; creating and updating data using spreadsheet software.
- Maintains departmental calendar and schedules events, such as job interviews, outside speakers, and other meetings as necessary.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in an administrative or office capacity which includes prior experience using computers and office software.
- Strong Word and Excel skills, as well as basic PowerPoint skills.
- Previous budget experience
- Excellent communication skills to be applied to telephone communications and to written communications such as email, letters, memos, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Some college or business school education.
- Proficiency in Access, Banner, and/or other specialized software, including entering and retrieving information from a database.
- Fluency with Windows computers.
- Experience working in higher education.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend