Animal Facility Manager
Job no: 493605
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Animal Facility Manager (AFM) is to ensure the care and wellbeing of all captive research animals in the Biology and Psychology Departments. This position will require flexible time management and the acquisition of new competencies as use of the animal facility changes over time. The AFM is expected to know how to perform all the duties listed below and to use this knowledge to train and supervise student workers. Given the diversity of responsibilities associated with this position, it will sometimes be necessary to prioritize care and management of certain animal populations. Priority will be given to vertebrate animals given the IACUC and USDA regulatory oversight for these animals. There are currently three labs housing vertebrate animals (rodents & amphibians), though this is subject to change. Main responsibilities include the following:
- Maintains the animal facilities to meet the standards of the U.S. Department of Agriculture Animal Welfare Act, the Guide for the care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and other state, federal and local animal welfare laws and regulations.
- Directs and oversees the activities of student employees to assist with the care taking duties.
- Maintain animal care facilities and equipment, order supplies, and keep records.
- Coordinate activities and serve as the co-chair of the College’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- Oversee unannounced visits from the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and coordinate corrections needed for any cited deficiencies.
- The AFM will participate in formal and informal continuing education and professional development opportunities.
- Direct tasks to student employees as needed.
More information about the Biology department can be found at www.swarthmore.edu/biology
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 1 year managing an animal facility or closely related environment.
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience
- Must be able to obtain a certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician level or higher within the first year of employment.
- Familiarity with USDA Animals and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and National Institute of Health (NIH) guidelines
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds (feed and bedding supply bags).
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including occasional weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to obtain a pre-employment background check including Child Abuse, Federal and State Criminal clearances.
- Because this position requires working with animals a tetanus immunization is required.
All applications must include an updated resume and cover letter.
This is a full-time, 35 hour/week, 12 month position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend