Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Network Engineer is responsible for performing complex engineering, problem diagnostics and resolution, installation, configuration, and on-going evolution of campus networking, data center interconnect, Internet and remote networking, wireless networking, Voice over IP, telecommunications systems, and associated infrastructure.
Main responsibilities include the following: Install, configure, maintain and support network hardware; Assure network stability, operability and proper configuration of assigned technical systems and components; Identify, diagnose and resolve complex network configuration and connectivity issues and other traffic, security and access problems; Install, configure, maintain and support a complex wireless network campus architecture; Implement and maintain remote data center interconnect, Maintain IP-based telephone system including IP phones, voicemail, E911 notification, voice gateways and related servers; Configure and remediate problems with IoT devices including cameras, electronic door access, alarms and other building automation systems; Monitor network status, collect usage and traffic statistics, monitor system logs; Maintain firewall access rules, NAT, site-to-site and client-based VPNs and end-user network access control systems; Protect the network from unauthorized access or malicious intent; Maintain campus cabling plant, terminate and test Ethernet cabling, perform network cross-connects; Provide direction to wiring contractors regarding locations and standards to be followed when installing new cabling. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 3-4+ years of solid enterprise-scale experience with nearly all of the following:
- Network architectures, switches, routers, Ethernet, fiber optic networking
- L2/L3 networking, VLANs, Etherchannel, redundant trunk groups, VRRP
- TCP/IP protocols, packet capture and analysis, DHCP, DNS, QoS
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless netwoking, WPA2, security certificates
- Routing protocols including OSPF and BGP
- Security systems including NextGen firewalls, security best practices, NAT
- VPN protocols including IPSEC, SSL VPN, site-to-site VPN
- Microsoft, Macintosh operating systems. IOS and Android devices.
- Network management and analysis systems, SNMP, Netflow, RADIUS, syslog, Splunk
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas to work teams and clients clearly.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and maintain timely communication with other IT work groups.
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills including the ability to identify, prioritize, and resolve multiple complex technical problems.
- High standards of professional ethics including maintaining confidentiality and respecting privacy.
- Attention to detail and good judgment in avoiding unplanned service interruptions.
- DCI technologies including VXLAN, EVPN, and MP-BGP are highly preferred
- Juniper network devices and Aruba wireless networking.
- VoIP systems, especially Cisco IP Telephony and Unity voice mail
- Palo Alto firewalls and Cisco VPN systems
- Solarwinds, Splunk, Infoblox, Sourcefire
- VMware, data center networking, Unix
- Work experience in Higher Education
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.