Human Resources Intern
Job no: 493536
Work type: Temporary Part Time
Categories: Human resources, Staff
This is an 8 week temporary internship with a starting rate of $15 per hour.
The Human Resources Intern will directly assist the Human Resources Manager of Talent & Retention with projects related to employment/recruiting, onboarding/orientation, and HR compliance. The candidate will have the opportunity to learn and assist with Swarthmore College’s summer hiring process. Main responsibilities include the following: partner with HR Manager to collaborate with hiring managers across campus to discuss summer hiring needs; develop postings and place openings on Swarthmore College Careers website; create and send offer details to new employees; coordinate electronic onboarding process for new employees.
This internship is designed to be both educational and practical. The Intern will gain a better understanding of the role that Human Resources plays in supporting the staffing needs of an organization. The Human Resources Intern will learn the following skills, which will provide direct experience in the profession of Human Resources:
- Steps in the recruiting and hiring process, including: posting job openings, reviewing resumes, conducting interviews, and making job offers.
- The importance of employment law and compliance, especially regarding employment eligibility, confidentiality, proper maintenance of employee files, and forms management.
- Management of new employee paperwork, payroll setup related to onboarding and termination, and use of information management database.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
- Current or recent enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate degree program with an interest to work in Human Resources or related field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and internet applications.
- Strong organization skills, ability to handle multiple tasks, ability to work under deadlines, prioritize workload.
- Ability to work in a supportive and collaborative fashion, ability to work as a team member to build stronger working relationships, ability to support the growth of a diverse culture.
- Student Member of SHRM is preferred.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend