Central Plant Technician
Job no: 493525
Work type: Full Time
CENTRAL PLANT TECHNICIAN
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425-acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The role of the Central Plant Technician is to work with the Utility Mechanics to maintain, diagnose and repair all equipment and devices relating to heating, air conditioning and ventilation throughout the Swarthmore College campus and college housing. The position also supports the transition from steam to high efficiency hot water systems. This position is primarily an operating and maintenance role working with medium pressure steam boilers, high efficiency boilers, control systems and chillers up to 600 tons. This position requires working on equipment where 480v three phase power is commonplace, high temperature piping is present and medium pressure steam (150 psi) is present.
- Monitor, diagnose and repair Steam Boiler, High Efficiency Hot Water Boiler and Chiller systems for proper operation.
- Test water samples, monitor and adjust chemical levels to maintain proper water chemistry in boilers, chillers and cooling towers.
- Check guages and chiller loop.
- Keep log books as per the PA-DEP permit requirements for the operation of stationary equipment.
- Maintain pumps, taking temperature readings and rebuilding/repairing steam traps, PRV’s and related steam equipment in the Heat Plant.
- Assist in developing in-house preventative maintenance procedures by providing input and collaboration with staff.
- Order fuels and chemicals necessary for the operation of the Heat Plant and Chillers.
Performs other assignments as directed by the Heat Plant Supervisor including but not limited to:
- Heat round checks to remote buildings, noting and correcting deficiencies.
- Monitor alarms on the Siemens Building Management System.
- Maintain the chemical feed systems for Chillers and Boilers.
- Maintain and order parts and supplies necessary for the operation of the Boilers.
- Assist in the repair and replacement of large equipment.
- Act as back up to the heat plant operator (steam).
- Perform welding repairs as needed.
- Ablity to operate and interpret results of test and measurement equipment including, but not limited to, multimeters, temperature sensing devices, amp meters and water testing devices.
- Ablity to use computer work stations for data input and reports.
- Ablity to identify and use hand tools including, but not limited to, pipe wrenches up to 36”, spanner wrenches, ratchet wrenches, pliers, bearing pullers, hammers of all sizes up to 20 lb. sledge hammer, chain falls, come-alongs, screw drivers and all other commonly used tools relevant to mechanical repairs.
- Able to lift up to eighty pounds unassisted.
- Able to identify and use electrical and pneumatic power tools including but not limited to drills, circular and reciprocating saws, chop saws, sand blasters, heat guns and pneumatic drive tools.
- Ablity to climb and work from ladders, scaffolding, powered lifts and other platforms at heights up to fifty feet.
- Must know and follow safe workplace practices regarding securing equipment that has the potential to move, electrical lock-out tag out and securing valves and lines with pressurized fluids and gases.
- Formal education and training to operate and troubleshoot high efficiency heating equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of building automation systems.
- Ability to make program changes to operating systems and monitor systems to ensure safe operation.
- Ablity to speak, read and write in English.
- Ablity to communicate via radio and other means of voice communication and be able to provide written documentation of jobs performed and materials used to augment equipment histories.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to prioritize workload and adhere to an established work schedule.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a supportive and collaborative fashion.
- Ability to work within a technical environment that requires additional training as technologies develop, Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors and coworkers to define problems, Ability to trouble shoot mechanical and operational problems in equipment and machines. Ability to learn and use software used to maintain operations and records.
- Valid Drivers license
- Minimum of a High School or GED diploma
- Minimum of four years operating experience in a High Pressure Boiler Plant.
- Experience in a related fiels to boiler service or repair.
- Knowledge of piping, building auromation systems and drawings.
- Certification or training in welding, HVAC, High efficiency heating equipment or related disciplines. Boiler technician license preferred.
For more information and to apply, please visit: http://careers.swarthmore.edu/cw/en-us/job
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend