Associate Director, Individual Giving
Job no: 493494
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Management, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Associate Director of Individual Giving will be responsible for the identification, engagement, and solicitation of Swarthmore alumni, parents, and friends having the capacity to make outright, blended, and planned gifts (including documented estate commitments) of $100,000 or larger to the College. Utilizing a donor-centric, philanthropic planning approach, s/he will manage the College’s relationships with a portfolio of 150-175 leadership giving and gift planning prospects, traveling regularly and extensively in order to discharge these responsibilities, including travel to Asia. The Associate Director will also be responsible for initiating regional strategies that support identification and engagement of donor prospects and volunteers. S/he will be responsible for building professional relationships within College Advancement, in the campus community, and in professional networks as appropriate. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of five (5) years working in institutional advancement or equivalent professional experience.
- Valid US driver’s license and passport
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational abilities, in particular abilities to manage multiple projects and to remain focused and effective while traveling.
- Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple and varied tasks independently, while also working collaboratively.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including in imaginative and persuasive writing.
- Strong skill in dealing with people, using tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Strong customer service skills.
- Strong skill in articulating the value of higher education.
- Ability to use a variety of computer applications, including demonstrated skills in the use of word processing and spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and Sheets), and fundraising databases (e.g. Banner) and reporting software (e.g. Argos).
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, or as needed to complete projects or meet heavy demand.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, including the ability to speak in public. Ability to speak on the telephone.
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Advanced degree.
- Experience working in a college or university setting, especially in a comprehensive fundraising campaign environment.
- Familiarity with Asian cultures and languages, particularly Chinese (Mandarin and/or Cantonese).
- Knowledge of planned giving vehicles.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend