Assistant Garden Supervisor, Plant Health
Job no: 493483
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Assistant Garden Supervisor of Plant Health provides support for assisting with the supervision of gardeners, as well as performing gardening care and maintenance and other groundskeeping duties. Acts as a lead in the department's sustainability efforts in regards to tree care, integrated pest management or storm water remediation. Additional responsibilities include assisting in special function set-up and tear-down, maintaining gardening and groundskeeping equipment, and assisting in College emergencies and weather-related emergencies. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma plus formal education in horticulture or related science.
- 5 to 7 years of gardening/horticulture experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of ornamental plants and turf.
- Familiarity with the control or management of the common insects, diseases and weeds of ornamentals and turf.
- Demonstrated knowledge of horticultural sustainability.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 50 lbs. Ability to carry a 35 lb. backpack sprayer for extended times. Possess hand, arm and back strength to do shoveling/pruning motions for extended time. Ability to wear a respirator and manipulate vibrating machinery. Ability to kneel, bend and squat for extended times. Visual ability to do detailed work. Ability to read and keep maintenance records.
This is a full-time position scheduled to work Monday through Friday 7:00am-3:30pm. This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend