Associate Vice President for Sustainable Facilities Operations
Job no: 493474
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Management, Staff
Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, seeks an innovative and visionary leader for the position of Associate Vice President for Sustainable Facilities Operations (AVP). Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the AVP will be responsible for leading, supervising, and coordinating the planning and execution of maintenance, operations, and repair for all Swarthmore College facilities, including its buildings, grounds (which includes the Scott Arboretum), and utilities. Working in close partnership with the Office of Sustainability, the AVP will plan and execute strategies to assure that our facilities and grounds are developed, improved, and maintained in a manner consistent with the college’s ambitious sustainability agenda. The AVP will also provide strategic and operational leadership of the physical plant and its personnel while maintaining a strong and focused team to deliver excellent service to the campus community.
The Associate Vice President for Sustainable Facilities Operations will have the following experiences, capabilities, and attributes:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or related area of study is strongly preferred; Master’s degree, professional and related certifications, including LEED accreditation, and licensures are preferred. A minimum of ten years’ experience is required.
- A proven record of visionary leadership in facilities management, utility management, and grounds maintenance in a complex environment.
- A track record of accomplishments and success in achieving sustainability goals in such areas as waste management, grounds maintenance, custodial services, building maintenance, and energy procurement.
- The ability to lead with both a decisive and consultative style, foster open communications, and proactively build positive relationships with faculty, staff, students, and diverse constituencies;
- Ability to integrate best practices in building management technology, sustainability, and accessibility in a campus environment;
- A proven leadership track record of successfully hiring, supervising, mentoring a large and highly diverse staff and a strong commitment to inclusion and diversity; a demonstrated record of encouraging the professional development of staff; and experience supervising multiple departments. Adept at problem solving and creating solutions.
- Well-organized and self-directed individual who exhibits a high level of integrity that inspires trust and confidence;
- Ability to relate to people at all levels of an organization; and an interest and desire to work with students and faculty to gather input, to explore and create options, and to seek outcomes that focus on learning goals;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations; demonstrate outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to analyze and optimize operational systems to improve upon their effectiveness and efficiency;
- Adept at problem solving and creating solutions;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals and to be skilled in articulating complicated technical challenges to others including those without technical training.
Applicants should submit a resume and letter discussing their interest in the position as well as their accomplishments in relationship to the listed responsibilities and qualifications. Background checks will be performed on all final candidates. Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Andy Evans and Mo Lashendock
Koya Leadership Partners
Swarthmore actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend