Post Office Assistant I
Job no: 493471
Work type: Part Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Post Office Assistant I assists with the timely receiving, sorting, logging, and distribution of mail and parcels for the College departments. Tasks performed with minimal supervision include: preparing mail and packages for internal distribution and assisting members of the College community in processing outgoing packages. The position is primarily responsible for the daily distribution by vehicle of mail/packages to departments. Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license required and the ability to operate a manual transmission vehicle
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds
- Must be able to stand up to six hours at a time
- Must be able to frequently lift, bend, and carry up to 60 lbs across campus and mail room
- Must be able to walk around campus to make deliveries
- Must be able to communicate in English
- Must have the ability to sort mail and packages
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle to deliver and pick up mail and packages
- Must be able to operate specialized mailroom equipment, e.g., UPS label maker
- Must be willing to Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, the day after Christmas & New Year’s day
- Basic knowledge of Window Operating System, Microsoft Office
This is a part-time position scheduled to work between 20-24 hours per week. Must be able to work on Saturdays.
Swarthmore actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend