Assistant Director of Alumni & Parent Engagement
Job no: 493443
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Management, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Assistant Director of Alumni & Parent Engagement is an integral member of Swarthmore’s high-performing Advancement division. The incumbent is responsible for raising current philanthropic support for the College, primarily by: Managing and implementing digital campaigns for fundraising, donor engagement, new donor acquisition, and donor retention; Managing a student Phonathon program that raises $350,000 annually; Managing the Student Philanthropy program, including Student Philanthropy Council and Senior Class Gift. The Assistant Director is expected to be sharp, adaptable, and dedicated to Swarthmore’s mission. This position collaborates with other community members and departments throughout the College to provide quantifiable fundraising results that contribute to the overall fundraising goals of the College. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of three (3) years working in a development, non-profit, or marketing setting, or equivalent experience.
- Strong organizational abilities. Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple and varied tasks independently, while also working collaboratively.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including imaginative and persuasive writing.
- Has an understanding of the best practices for crowdfunding and digital fundraising initiatives.
- Skill in dealing with people, using tact and diplomacy, and the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Strong customer service skills.
- Skill in articulating the value of higher education.
- Ability to use a variety of computer applications, including demonstrated skills in the use of word processing and spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and Sheets).
- A familiarity with or ability to quickly learn a variety of web-based applications, including reporting software (e.g. Argos), electronic broadcast software (e.g. Emma), Web page design software (e.g. Drupal), desktop publishing software (e.g. InDesign), texting software (e.g. Hustle), crowdfunding/day of giving software (e.g. GiveCampus), and other Internet applications.
- Must be able to work occasional evenings, weekends, or as needed to complete projects or meet heavy demand.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English, including the ability to speak in public.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including computer, printer, copier, scanner, and fax machine.
- Ability to travel locally and regionally.
- Advanced degree.
- Experience working in a college or university setting, especially in a comprehensive fundraising campaign environment.
- Experience managing or working in a call center or phonathon environment.
- Experience creating social media campaigns and Facebook ads.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend