Administrative Coordinator, Dean of Students
Job no: 493440
Work type: Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the Administrative Coordinator for the Dean of Students Division provides primary executive-level administrative support to the Dean of Students. The Administrative Coordinator must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills as the initial point of contact for internal and external constituencies on matters pertaining to the Dean of Students Office, including students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and more. The Administrative Coordinator must be detailed orientated and committed to supporting an organization that is mission-based, results-driven and community oriented. Main responsibilities include the following: Manage details and logistics of intricate schedules for the Dean of Students; Complete expense reports; Compose meeting minutes and confidential correspondence; Arrange detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; Manage electronic calendars for the Dean of Students; Greet office visitors to promote positive departmental service image; Answer departmental and individuals’ phones in a prompt and courteous fashion; Research, prioritize, and follow up on issues and concerns of a sensitive or confidential nature; Coordinate mail to ensure timely distribution; Maintain the Dean of Students Office website(s). Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree with a minimum five (5) years’ experience, particularly in support of senior executives. Equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
- Must be able to work independently, with minimal oversight, on projects from conception to completion and must be able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Must have demonstrated ability to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion and good judgment.
- Ability to maintain collegiality, flexibility, tact and good judgment in a busy office environment and have a keen attention to detail.
- Must possess expert level of verbal and written communication in English.
- Extensive experience and proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of computer programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and follow through on projects requiring meticulous attention to accuracy and detail.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and communication skills; ability to represent the Dean of Students Office and Division effectively to a wide variety of constituencies and audiences.
- Ability to exhibit emotional maturity, reliability, composure, and stability under pressure in order to handle on-the-job challenges.
- A sense of humor is key.
- Baccalaureate degree.
- Ability to review office budget and track financial performance across the Division.
- Experience working in a higher education setting.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend