Greenhouse Manager (part-time)
Job no: 493389
Work type: Part Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Greenhouse (GH) Manager is responsible for managing the Biology Department greenhouse in order to support the biology curriculum and research activities. The GH manager will work closely with faculty, staff, and students to ensure that plants grown in the GH are healthy and available when needed. The position involves direct plant care including watering, fertilizing, pest control, and cleaning. It also involves operation and maintenance of GH control and mechanical systems, providing proper documentation of GH operations, and supervising student employees. The GH manager is expected to communicate clearly with GH users to proactively avoid plant growth and facilities issues.
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture, agronomy, plant science or a closely related field. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience working in an academic research setting and working with or supervising undergraduate employees.
- Must acquire and maintain a pesticide application license and a driver's license.
- Working knowledge of the principles of plant propagation and management and of the effects of environment, nutrition, and chemical factors on plant growth.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to supervise GH operations to ensure healthy plant growth.
- Must be able to communicate with GH users and other college personnel in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Must be able to establish, follow and document plant care protocols.
- Must acquire and maintain a PA pesticide applicators license and work safely with cleaning chemicals and pesticides.
- Must acquire a working knowledge of GH heating, cooling, electrical, mechanical, and computerized control systems.
- Must be able to carry 50lb bags of soil, climb stairs and ladders.
- Advanced degree in horticulture, agronomy, plant science or a closely related field.
- Experience in greenhouse management.
- Working knowledge of the maintenance and repair of greenhouse equipment.
This is a part-time, 13 hours per week position.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend