Heat Plant Operator
Job no: 493378
Work type: Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The role of the Heat Plant Operator is to work in conjunction with the Utility Mechanics to maintain and repair all equipment and devices relating to heating, air conditioning and ventilation throughout the college campus and college housing. This is primarily an operating and maintenance role working with Medium Pressure Boilers and Chillers up to 600 tons. This position requires working on equipment where 480v three phase power is commonplace, high temperature piping is present and medium pressure steam (150 psi) is present. A Heat Plant Operator is expected to have formal education and licensing to operate high pressure boilers and the ability to make program changes to operating systems and monitor systems to assure safe operation. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Valid Driver’s license
- Minimum of a High School or GED diploma
- Minimum of four years’ operating experience in a High Pressure Boiler Plant
- Must be licensed to operate a High Pressure Boiler Plant
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to communicate via radio and other means of voice communication and be able to provide written documentation of jobs performed and materials used to augment equipment histories.
- Must be able to operate and interpret results of test and measurement equipment including, but not limited to, multimeters, temperature sensing devices, amp meters and water testing devices.
- Must be able to use computer work stations for data input and reports.
- Must be able to identify and use hand tools including, but not limited to, pipe wrenches up to 36”, spanner wrenches, ratchet wrenches, pliers, bearing pullers, hammers of all sizes up to 20 lb. sledge hammer, chain falls, come-alongs, screw drivers and all other commonly used tools relevant to mechanical repairs.
- Must be able to lift weights up to eighty pounds un-assisted.
- Must be able to identify and use electrical and pneumatic power tools including but not limited to drills, circular and reciprocating saws, chop saws, sand blasters, heat guns and pneumatic drive tools.
- Must be able to climb and work from ladders, scaffolding, powered lifts and other platforms at heights up to fifty feet.
- Must be familiar with safe workplace practices regarding securing equipment that has the potential to move, electrical lock-out tag out and securing valves and lines with pressurized fluids and gases.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend