Program Coordinator, Black Cultural Center and First in Family Initiatives
Job no: 493369
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices and actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world.
Swarthmore College seeks a creative, team player to fulfill the duties of the Program Coordinator for the Black Cultural Center and First Generation Student Initiatives This person will work with student leaders, staff, and faculty to plan, organize, promote, supervise, and help evaluate programs, events, and activities to meet the needs of students.
Reporting dually to the Director of the Black Cultural Center and the Dean of First Generation Family Initiatives the focus of the job will be primarily on the development and execution of programs supporting the activities for the 50th Anniversary of the Black Cultural Center and coordinating programing for first generation and low income students through the First in Family Program and the Richard Rubin Scholars programs.
The Black Cultural Center (BCC) was established in 1970. Students are encouraged to explore the complexities of their identity, their connections to members of the Black community, both locally and globally, and to learn how to live productively after Swarthmore. The Center assumes broad responsibility for the creation of a supportive environment which promotes the student’s full participation in the College’s co-curricular life and enhances the sensitivity of the larger community to the needs, interests, and culture of its students. At the same time, it recognizes the intellectual and social diversity among students of African descent and strives to gear its programs and services accordingly.
First Generation Student Programming: The Dean of First Year Students provides leadership and oversight for the following areas: The First in Family Program, The Rubin Scholars Mentoring Program, and First Year Student programming including New Student Orientation. The purpose of the First in Family program is to help first generation students to build community and learn about campus resources so that they can thrive at the college. Similarly, the Richard Rubin Scholars programs provides mentoring for these students as they navigate the Swarthmore community.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Experience coordinating and implementing co-curricular programs for students.
- Experience with social justice education
- Experience working with diverse student populations
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to personal and departmental development, professionalism, multicultural education, creativity, collaboration, and initiative.
- Strong attention to detail; strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, often under deadlines; ability to work as a team member to build strong working relationships within the greater Dean's division, across campus and in the broader community; ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Must be able to report for work in a dependable and timely fashion and work some evening and weekends as needed.
This is a 10 month, two-year appointment for the 17/18 and 18/19 academic years.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend