Job no: 493365
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
The Swarthmore College Theater Department seeks an enthusiastic, creative, team player with a passion for theater to be the Production Intern (PI) for the 2017-2018 academic year. The PI is a full time staff position that works with students, faculty, and staff to support the production needs of the Theater Department’s performances. As a member of the staff the PI assists with the construction of scenic elements, implementation of light and sound designs, the design and construction of stage props, as well as the scheduling and management of student crews. The PI will work in a fast paced collaborative environment, where they will learn the craft and administrative skills needed to succeed in the world of Theater production. While building their own skill set the PI will also help to train and inspire students working in the Theater to excellence in their craft.
The Production Intern’s responsibilities include scheduling student workers to help crew performances; assisting the Technical Director in building and painting all scenic elements; set up and maintenance of lighting and sound equipment; acquisition, construction, and occasional design of stage props; acting as Stage Manager for three studio productions; running off campus errands to support productions. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in the Performing Arts (Theater preferred) or comparable professional experience.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize workload, and work under deadlines.
- Ability to manage student workers, to efficiently schedule and delegate personnel, and to effectively administer policies.
- Ability to work independently and to problem solve, as well as work under direct supervision and take direction.
- Enjoy collaborating with faculty, guest artists, staff, and students.
- Interest in working with diverse personalities and pressures in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to perform manual labor and willingness to work with hand and power tools.
- Desire to learn the software and systems in common use in the production of theater, such as Qlab, Vectorworks, etc.
This is a full-time, two year limited term position that offers a competitive benefits package and paid time off. Click here to view employee testimonials and learn about what it’s like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend