Chemistry Laboratory Research Assistant
Job no: 493345
Work type: Limited Term Full Time
Categories: Administration, Staff
This is a one year limited term full-time appointment, with the possibility of at least one year extension.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
A Research Assistant position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Liliya Yatsunyk. Yatsunyk’s lab studies interactions between non-canonical DNA structures implicated in cancer and small molecule ligands. The lab uses an interdisciplinary approach spanning biochemistry, organic chemistry, and biophysical chemistry. For more information visit http://www.swarthmore.edu/liliya-yatsunyk.
Main responsibilities include the following: Plan and conduct biochemical research experiments, analyze data, help write publications, and mentor undergraduate students in independent research. The candidate will be trained and will be expected to achieve independence in regular activities. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a closely related discipline with a solid background in basic biochemistry. Applicants with Master Degree will be considered.
- Demonstrated lab experience in chemistry, biochemistry and/or DNA work.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be self-motivated and demonstrate accuracy, attention to detail, enthusiasm for learning, and the ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage undergraduate researchers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think critically and troubleshoot and resolve experimental problems as they arise.
- Experience in X-ray crystallography applied to proteins or DNA.
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend