Patrol/Communications Officer (Recruitment Only)
Job no: 492257
Work type: Full Time, Limited Term Full Time, Limited Term Part Time, Part Time
RECRUITMENT ONLY: a vacancy may not be available at this time. However, when a vacancy does become available, the hiring manager will review this pool and contact qualified applicants at that time.
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The Department of Public Safety is currently accepting applications for the position of Patrol/Communication Officer. The Patrol/Communication Officer is responsible for responding to routine and emergency calls for service, conducting initial and follow up investigations as appropriate, responding to medical incidents and both fire and intrusion alarms. They are also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the multi-faceted Swarthmore College Communication Center. The position maintains control of incoming telephone calls while providing direction for outgoing calls that are not direct dial accessible. The Officer courteously provides information and assistance by telephone, radio or in person to faculty, staff, students, and visitors. The dispatch of internal communications, monitoring of CCTV, Access Control and both fire and intrusion alarms, as well as key control of organizations' keys are all integral functions of the position. Coordination of communication or responding to incidents under demanding emergency conditions is an essential skill. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent required. Minimum of three years' experience in the security, public safety, law enforcement, and communications field. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel and relational database management software such as Filemaker Pro, (version 6.x or later), Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), CCTV and Access Control.
- Data entry, analysis, correction, management and presentation of data are required.
- Must have excellent communication and customer service skills to deal effectively with a wide variety of College personnel and/or outside individuals/organizations
- Ability to work and maintain a positive relationship with Public Safety staff and other personnel.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule and be available for additional shifts as necessary.
- College degree
- Experience in a college or similar environment and/or experience in a busy office setting in a dispatcher environment.
- PA Act 235 Certification or PA Act 120 Certification
- APCO Certification
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend